Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fans everywhere : gift and curse of the Internet (by Cool FD)


I was in Berlin in early July. Beyond the fact that this city is basically amazing, I had the chance to meet in real life my friend Knightstalker, a very dope emcee and a dedicated hiphop head. German soccer team was in full effect, but as you can guess, the convo went on the typical hiphop topic : people don’t listen to the "real" shit anymore.

I have my personnal opinion about this wrong debate, which is based on a fact that nobody can ignore : the Internet rules the game.
  • More fans : the gift

No need to explain more than this : the Internet has been mutliplyin the number of fans that any artist can pretend to. And this is good news. For real.
  • Fans everywhere : another gift

Your music is now available, immediately, all over the globe.That means more listeners (potentially), and above all, a great opportunity to build fan base at different places in the world. Interesting.
  • But you have to find them : this is the curse

Things would be too easy if the Internet has been allowed to indie artists only, forbidden to the major artists. And this is the precise point of my opinion : you have more fans, in more places, but you have to find them, you have to make you visible from them. The stake is high. If you succeed, you could blow up. If you don’t, you’ll keep sayin that people don’t know what’s good music anymore. But they’re not the musician, you are.
(This article will be followed by another where I will share my advice on how find these fans. If you have some knowledge to drop, feel free to comment or to reach me !)

***Thanks to Cool FD for sending***